This site is for educational use and you may use any of my material in any way you like and I prefer if you attribute work. Note that work from other sources are still their copyright so read on for the legal stuff. Commercial use is not allowed without permission but it will generally be given.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
There are a number of external images used on this site and permissions granted have been noted below. I have also listed various copyright terms in case you are doing something similar. Where I am unclear about copyright on an image I use Google lens to try and find the original.
Permission is sought before using any external work and no copyright theft or other immoral action is intended.
- Many photos are taken from creative commons sites and labelled as such in accordance with terms. See https://creativecommons.org/faq/
- The following link explains some copyright law for everything else that isn’t covered by creative commons and the like. https://www.deviantart.com/about/policy/copyright/
- Facebook has a copyright page explaining terms https://www.facebook.com/help/1020633957973118
- Many photos on this website are mine.
1. Photos from Legio VIII Augusta MGV Roman Living History Society Facebook page
“Hi Andy! That would be fine. Please link to our Facebook page. I suggest that you join the Facebook group ‘Dave at Legio VIII.” Dave is our photographer and has lots more pictures there. I’m sure he’d be happy to let you use them if you drop him a message too. Robin Brown”
2. Pictures of Roman Emperors from Daniel Voshart
“Yes, non commercial sites can use the watermarked images without asking permission. Only commercial sites need to ask.
Whether or not you use the comparison images (on the left) is up to you. Those are not mine to officially redistribute.
3. Scottish Government LIDAR data
There is no limitation on public use and they ask that the following be noted “Crown copyright Scottish Government, SEPA and Scottish Water (2012).” Reference LiDAR for Scotland Phase 1 – DSM
4. Coin photo from Swandro-Orkney Coastal Archaeology Trust
https://www.swandro.co.uk/conditions-of-use – says copyright acknowledgement
5. All photos are in a gallery and the caption has the license owner. Some featured images are missing the copy right caption because the image has been resized by the software – working on sorting that.
6. The National Library of Scotland allows re-use of its maps according to this guidance https://maps.nls.uk/copyright.html
7. Historic Environment Scotland publish their data under the Open Government Licence v3.0
8. Material from the BBC can be used according to his https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/terms/can-i-share-things-from-the-bbc/
9. Country Flag icons used in maps are free for non-commerical use. https://mapicons.mapsmarker.com/about/other-resources/